There have been a lot of fires in my county recently. The fire department has called for residents to check their smoke detectors to ensure safety. But, I also wonder about carbon monoxide detectors as well and what people know about them.
Carbon Monoxide is a heavy gas that does not rise as high as people think. Smoke rises very quickly and thus the reason smoke detectors are placed on or close to the ceiling. Carbon monoxide hangs around at breathing level, thus a detector should be face height for the shortest person in your home.
Check both your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide batteries monthly to help protect you and your family.